Thursday 8 November, 2007

Diwali chaos

By now, u all must be quiet used to me cribbing about whatever festival or seasonal wave coming to the city (monsoons, wedding season etc.) so lemme not disappoint you all...afterall you are my darlin, precious readers :P And anyways i was feelin like posting something and had no concrete topic in my mind so here it is...my diwali ramblings.
A. Im not a festive person (seems lk im a not-many-things-person na but later about that aspect)
B. I dont like too much noise and i completely abhore smoke and pollution (dont ask me how I survive in this city...waise post CNG drive things are very controlled out here)
C. Not being very social (unless through internet:P) I dont have any social obligations so no gifting sweets and chocolates (BTW, I completely adore poeple who gift chocolates to me and never ever expect me to gift the same to them). So after the pooja and all is done (dat too isnt exactly my cup of tea) and my parents leave to fulfilll their social obligations, all that is left is me and ummmmmmm me.
Tryin to watch TV or talk on phone is an excercise in vain..with so much noise, how can u hear anyone? So its mostly SMSing friends or sending e-greetings.
SMSing reminds me this funny incident dat happened to me few yrs back. I got his really beautiful n nice diwali SMS from some number. That number was not in my phonebook but looked very familiar so I confidently called up the number. On hearing Hello in an unfamiliar voice, I realised my folly. Anyhow, since the person had send me a msg, i had every reason to ask who it was..
Me: Hi..I am Supernova. May I know whom Im talkin to?
He: Hi this is Z this side.
Me: Well I just received an SMS from ur number..Do I know you?
He: You are Supernova?
Me: Yup.
He: And you got a message from my number?
Me: Dats rite. But im not sure I know you.
He: Well I was in your college yaar..don't you remember me.
Me (totally zapped): WHAT?? You were in MY college?
He: Yaaa
Me: R u absolutely sure?
He: Haan baba..im surprised you dont rememeber me.
Me: You know dats really strange indeed. Coz I was in an all-girls college.
The silence that followed on his end was PRICELESS!!!!
He: Oh! Then you arent the one im talkin about.
hahahahahahaha
The worst problem is trying to sleep on the D-nite...The moment you are on the brink of steppin into the dreamland, BOOM and you are rudely woken up by your neighbourhood cracker enthusiast. And those cracker chains of 1000, 5000 and 10000 crackers are like pure nightmare...they go on for lk 15 minutes atleast and post that too you can hear them for atleast another 10 minutes buzzing your ears.
I was never much into crckers..just some harmless and noiseless phuljhadis for me untill i got burned a little by one of the flames and bid adieu to that too.
So overall, diwali dsnt hold much significance for me other den the holiday I get:P
This pic greeted me in the morning:
Delhi (the Connaught Circus are to be precise though Im sure things werent very different any other parts of the city) yesterday eve.

(click on the image to enlarge it) Image: Timesofindia
This bird's eye view sure will make you come up with words like festive, glittery, beautiful, enchanting and all. But im sure if we take a poll of people who were stuck in this 'picterisque moment', they'll be more then willing to enlighten me with the other side of this full of lights picture...Imagine covering a 10 minute distance in 3hrs!! Seems like the entire is city is out on the roads moving from office to home, home to markets for last minute shopping and gift distribution to friends and official contacts. And today is expected to be worse..
Anyways, dats nothing to me coz im surely not planning to move out of my house for the rest of this week (though right now im stuck in the office but then dats an entirely different story).

Have a nice time this diwali, have fun n take care of yourself and those around you :)

6 comments:

Di said...

wow tht pic is something! the same situation ud find in blore ..but on a regular basis..every time theres a feeble drizzle :-/

ancientmariner said...

..the pic looks like lava flowing down fm a volcano:-)..happy diwali..
the 10 min distance in 3 hrs...m quite used to that now...and thanks to this I have ooooodles of patience !!!:-)

Spectator said...

booooooom !!!

Unknown said...

happy diwali! ...and, yes we do accept chocos couriered to our home for the occasion so send them along...

Anonymous said...

hey thnx for the rating! nice blog! wanna xchange links?

Supernova said...

Di: Ya ders monsoon mess in delhi as well bt den its nt soo glittery ;)

Ancientmariner: Ah well, dats one positive thng coming outta traffic jams

Specy: Boom urself :P

Rejoy: U expect me to courier the CHOCOLATES to u!!!